Saturday 14 January 2012

the science of sabbathing

One of the first things we were taught at uni, was the true meaning of sabbathing (spending quality time with God). We discussed silence, solitude, rest... How easy it is to forget all these things within our busy lives (I nearly called this blog 'stop the world, i want to get off').

Apologies for my absence yesterday. It was a wee bit busy. I rode Splodge in the morning, ran a youth club at lunchtime, had my supervision over lunch, ran another youth club in the afternoon, then went to supper at my line manager's house with a group of friends in the evening. It was a manic, fun, stressful, joyous, busy, rewarding kind of a day. And for the first time in ages, I was aware of God beside me the whole time. I think what I was given on Thursday was hope, and connection. I feel like I've bounced off the edge of the circle and I'm finally hurtling back to the centre.

Today, I sabbathed. And I slept. All day. Again, have failed miserably at taking photos, so this one is another cheat.


I think bed might be my favourite thing ever. It gives us both physical and mental rest. It's a constant in all our lives. Today, I rested, regrouped and I'm feeling ready to face the world again.

And I haven't felt like this in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment